Tobago has a new covid19 critical case.

This was revealed by medical chief of staff at the Scarborough General Hospital Dr Victor Wheeler as he responded to questions from the media during Tuesday’s virtual Division of Health media briefing.

He said: “The patient that was in the covid19 ICU earlier this week is no longer there. That person has moved out to the facility at the fort (the old Scarborough Hospital at Fort King George) and the person that is there now is a recent addition to the covid19 ICU.”

Wheeler said that the facility at the fort treats patients who are covid19-positive and well, and covid19 patients with some symptoms that require minimal treatment.

“If they do develop more serious symptoms, then they are transferred to the covid19 ICU at the hospital in Signal Hill,” he said.

Providing a clinical update, Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr Tiffany Hoyte said there are 12 active covid19 cases on the island.

Recalling that one Tobago patient has died to date, Hoyte said 41 have been sent home. She said they “have met the clinical criteria for discharge and will not be required to further isolate at home.”

Overall, she reported, 997 samples had been submitted to the Tobago Regional Health Authority (TRHA) and other local sites for testing, with 53 testing positive.

There are nine patients at the covid19 treatment facility, two en route to it and none at the step-down facility.

The post New Tobago covid19 patient in ICU appeared first on Trinidad and Tobago Newsday.

Read More